It was fun to have the Norwegian wedding experience. The couple and their witnesses sat facing each other at the front of the church (they may have stood up for the vows, I had to pop out to feed and when I got back the couple were sitting next to each other instead of facing) and the maid of honour sat up there and waited with the groom and best man instead of walking in with the bride.
It was a nice little service, fun to hear Corinthians 13 in Norwegian, just to mix it up a bit! The short sermon was around a Norwegian saying - in marriage mercy must come before justice. I hadn't heard it before but it was a good reminder... especially when you have a new baby and you are very tired and irritable with little time and energy for one another...
It is great that once you are married you keep going to weddings for the rest of your life and can be reminded of little things like this. So since then when I am feeling a little growly and, lets be honest here, a little resentful and bitchy about something I try and remember the mercy, not the score keeping.
Probably the biggest difference was the wedding songs. They rewrite well known Norwegian songs and sing for the bride and groom throughout the reception. So when we sat at our seats there was a tied up bunch of songs on our plate which we made our way through, quite funny and is always interesting to see who has a good voice! One of the uncles had a lovely deep booming chocolaty voice.
When Mattias is tired he struggles to cope with lots of people (there are small glimpses every now and then that I am his mother, he isn't actually a Mr T clone) and they come up to say hello to him and he screams in their faces. He had done this the night before when we dropped off the flowers so I was a bit nervous about how the day would go. But, like I said, he was an absolute star, and the center of attention. I am sure that would be hard for a self centered bride, but this one was just trying to get her chance to hold him as much as possible. Thankfully he didn't spit up all over her dress... or mine surprisingly.
And I have to say a huge advantage of breastfeeding and his current inability to focus while anyone is around him meant that when I needed a break I could say that the baby needed a feed and go off and hide with him for a while!
Happy family.
With Oldefar.
Getting into pjs and having a play with Bestemor and Gammeltante (great-aunt).



No comments:
Post a Comment