Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Getting just what you want can be challenging

Like wanting more challenging work to use your brain and then having to translate a 500 word document from English to Norwegian. Oi.

Norwegian to English I am a whizz, a whizz I tell you. Am even getting some of this technical industry language down - I know a hull is a skrog. Still working on bollard pull...

However, it is the expressions that get me when going from English. Such as, "in addition to", "going according to plan", "is raising eyebrows", "the importance of". Of course I can translate the words but words alone do not a correctly translated phrase make.

But I am enjoying the challenge. Am also enjoying the combination of being humbled by how little I know and thrilled by how much I know. And disturbed that English with a capped E looks so wrong as I am now used to engelsk with a small one. There goes my editing skillz down the drain...

No comments: